Though uncommon, a kissing ball might be found were found in some regency households. Sadly they were considered a bit crass and would usually be confided to servant’s areas.
To make one of your own you need:
(1) wire to shape the ball–clothes hangers would be a ready source.
(2) Something to bind the form together, the video suggests string. In my house of engineers, it would be duct tape.
(3) Mistletoe and other greenery. Since mistletoe is poisonous, consider your household. It might be better to use artificial greenery to construct your kissing ball.
(4) Something to hold you greenery in place: Glue, wire, fishing line, or just seriously good twisting and tucking skills.
(5) pretty things to decorate your kissing ball. Red things like ribbon, berries and flowers are a good choice for the season.
Once you’ve put yours all together, hang it up, over a doorway or high traffic area if you was to use it for the kissing part. Beware though, if you live with tall people, like two of my sons turned out to be, you need to hang it high enough that they won’t knock their heads into it. That, it turns out, annoys tall people and definitely takes away from the whole kissing ball aspect. Who knew they could be so touchy!
Cat owners, you might need to be careful, too. Especially if you have a jumper. Cat’s swinging from a kissing ball makes a great youtube video, but might have a few unintended consequences. You have been warned.
Make Your Your Own Kissing Ball
Read the Christmas scene Miss Darcy and the Kissing Ball here
If you enjoyed this post you might also enjoy: