Regency Traditions Video:Make Your Your Own Wassail Punch

Regency Christmas Traditons

Regency wassail was usually far more alcoholic than this, and wine based. But this recipe has a lot of the same feel with fruit and spices.

We are more the fruit juice and spice punch type people, so I’m not sure we’ll try this particular version, but I’d love to hear about it if any of you do!

Make Your Your Own Wassail Punch

Read more about syllabub and other holiday foods here.

If you enjoyed this post you might also enjoy:

11 comments

2 pings

Skip to comment form

1. And to think, I always use apple juice or cider as the base of my wassail. I also mull the sugar and spices over night. Did I miss it, or did he not add sugar?

2. And to think, I always use apple juice or cider as the base of my wassail. I also mull the sugar and spices over night…. Did I miss it, or did he not add sugar? Watched it again. No sugar! Oh, my sad sweet tooth!

1. Sorry, it said the first one didn’t go through, so I watched again, added the rest, and sent. I wasn’t trying to get extra credits! 😯

• bn100 on December 8, 2015 at 2:13 am

fun video

• Kirk on December 8, 2015 at 11:42 am

Ok, something Victorian I can like. Thanks for sharing!

• Carole in Canada on December 8, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Hmmm….mulled wine is more to my liking. I didn’t realize they made it with beer!

• Lynn Char on December 8, 2015 at 11:14 pm

I make this often but with cider not beer. Though perhaps whole apples might be a nice touch this year!

• Megan on December 10, 2015 at 12:25 am

I didn’t realize wassail was created during Victorian. I have read holiday JAFF where they drank wassail and was set during regency.

• Erika Messer on December 10, 2015 at 2:37 am

I want to try this in my crock pot! It seems a lot like a recipe for a good mulled wine, but I love the idea of the fruits in it, those always make it SO much better. I was going to try a mulled wine this Christmas but now I am thinking I will make this! And see what people think of it before I tell them 🙂

• Lisa H on December 12, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I’ve only had wassail once and it was non-alcoholic.

• Sheila L. M. on January 5, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I have never tasted this or anything like it. We don’t entertain on a large scale requiring a punch or a large amount of “doctored” drinks. I did send the recipe to my son-in-law who experiments with making alcoholic drinks.

• Regency Christmas Traditions: The Christmas Holiday Feast - Random Bits of Fascination on December 9, 2015 at 11:23 am

[…] Punch and Wassail […]

1. […] they would sing for the family and be treated to victuals and libations (frequently in the form of wassail) and a warm fire. In some villages, people joined together to sing carols from the church towers. […]